Thursday 2 August 2012

Fresh Cream Scone - Julie's Bakery, March

Julie's Bakery Fresh Cream Scone
After last week's interesting experience with Greggs I decided to try another bakery in March.  Julie's has a wide range of sandwich fillings on offer, freshly made to order, but not quite as much choice in the way of sweet treats.

I was tempted by the fresh cream counter and plumped for the fresh cream fruit scone.  Here's what I thought.

Presentation - Score: 7/10


The scone was nicely shaped, round but not perfectly so like the ones at The Carnaby Room.  There was absolutely loads of fresh cream in the middle, already looking to burst out the sides with just the weight of the top half of the scone.  The only disappointment really was that there wasn't jam squidging out the sides as well.

All this means that the fresh cream scone from Julie's bakery scores a very respectable 7 out of 10 for presentation.

Taste - Score: 7/10


As expected with the first bite, I was scraping cream up of the table, but, ignoring the mess, I was impressed with the texture of the scone.  It was nice and soft, maybe not quite crumbly enough, but certainly not too dry.  My only complaint with the scone would be that, in my opinion, there wasn't enough fruit in it.

The cream was slightly sweeter than I expected, but a lovely texture, and definitely the next best thing to clotted cream.  I have to say I hardly noticed the jam though, which was disappointing, as everything else was rather good.  Therefore, the fresh cream scone from Julie's bakery scores another good 7 out of 10 for taste.

Overall - Score: 7/10


Another solid score from a scone, but I'm still waiting for one that has everything.  The Butterfinger's cream tea needed better cream, the Carnaby Room scones were not really up to scratch and this one needed more jam.  Will I find the perfect combination?

Therefore, the fresh cream scone from Julie's bakery scores a good 7 out of 10 overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment