Monday 9 July 2012

Carrot Cake – Oscar’s Restaurant, Lakeside, Cumbria – 3 July 2012


Oscar's Carrot Cake
Now, I’m a sucker for a piece of carrot cake, so different ones are likely to feature from time-to-time.  This one was purchased in Oscar’s Restaurant at the marina/station in Lakeside on Lake Windermere.  Oscar’s offers beautiful views of the lake, and although it was difficult getting the buggy up the stairs to the first floor, where the restaurant is situated, it was worth it for the view.  The restaurant had a number of homemade cakes available, but it had to be the carrot cake for me!

Presentation – Score: 4/10

Nothing special here – I selected the piece I wanted from a plate (naturally the biggest piece!) – they were all square with plenty of nuts sprinkled on top, but I was strangely drawn to the simplicity in a ‘the care’s gone into the baking’ kind of way.  To be honest, if it was anything but carrot cake I probably would’ve just passed it by and headed for the chocolate stuff in the next counter!  This all leads to a pretty average 4 out of 10 for presentation.

Taste – Score: 4/10

Unfortunately my ‘the care’s gone into the baking’ theory didn’t really come to fruition.  The cake was too light and dry for me – not the usual density I would have expected – and, while the general flavours were pretty good, I soon realised what I thought was missing.  I like carrot cake to have raisins/sultanas in, which adds moisture and also I find the better ones have an additional layer(s) of the cream cheese topping in the cake.  This one had neither, hence my disappointment and the below average score of 4 out of 10.

Overall – Score: 4/10

As I said at the beginning, I’m a sucker for carrot cake, and I’ve eaten far better before, so this one gets a disappointing 4 out of 10 overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment